Garage Door Safety Tips
As a homeowner, you may never stop to take the time to consider the condition that your garage door might be in as long as it is still working. Even when your garage door is still functioning the way that it should, you should still consider some the safety precautions that should be made when utilizing a garage door. The safety tips presented are especially useful when you have children. Since people use their garage for so many different things, office space, storage, hangout or something else, it is certainly worth considering the safety tips that should be taken in order to remain safe and keep others safe when using your garage.
Safety Tips & Precautions
- There is a button that you press in order for the garage door opener to operate. Have the buttons installed high enough that children are not able to reach them.
- If you are not able to locate your garage door remote, the first place you should look is in the hands of your children. They like to press buttons and since there are buttons on your remote, it is logical to assume they may have the remote.
- Consult your manual in order to check to make sure your door opener’s reversing mechanism works properly. If you want to keep yourself out of harms way, contact the Marietta, Georgia service technicians at Marietta Garage Door Repair to check this feature for you. The auto reverse helps to protect you. It will stop and retract on its own if something is detected in the path of the door. Again, this is helpful when you have children to protect.
- Put it on your calendar to inspect your garage door rollers, springs and cables to make sure they are not rusted or misaligned. If they are, it is best to get the help you need right away in order to prevent the door from no longer working.
- If you have a garage door where children can slide their tiny hands in between the sections, consider having a garage door installed that doesn’t have panels, which could pinch their hands. If you’re not familiar with what this means, simply rely on the services of a professional garage door service technician as a precaution to ensuring no one is harmed by your garage.
- In order to protect your belongings and possibly even someone who may be housesitting for you, unplug your garage door opener so that the door becomes unresponsive. This ensures that no incident occurs while you are away. It is best to safe rather than sorry.
- Make sure that your garage door opener has been installed, make sure it has rolling-code technology that changes access codes whenever the opener has been used to avoid intrusion from someone without permission. If it doesn’t have these features, invest in a newer model that is certain to have the necessary security and safety features already included. You could manually change the codes yourself but why make things harder on yourself than necessary.
- If you are noticing that your garage door doesn’t go all the way to the ground, this could pose a threat to your security. There are several reasons why your door may not go all the way to the floor, whatever the cause might be; this isn’t something that you should ignore. Get immediate help today! Doing so may protect yourself and your valuables.
- Home invasions can occur when you leave your garage door remote in your car. Whether the door is unlocked or not, they could simply break your window and take the opener. If you have parked your car in front of your home with the remote inside, this poses a serious threat to you and your loved ones. As a precaution, NEVER leave your garage door opener remote inside your car. A good remedy for always having access to your garage remote is to purchase a key chain remote. Even with a remote, if your garage gains you access directly into your home, make sure you keep the door to you house locked at all times.
- If your garage door has windows, it is in your best interest for you to avoid storing valuables inside your garage where others can see what you have inside. If you use your garage as storage, either have the windows tinted or have a new door installed without windows. It may seem like a drastic thing to do but it is worth the effort in order to protect those whom you love.
- If you have given service professionals access into your garage for work, make sure you change the code on your remote or if you have a keypad, change the code every time you provide this information to someone.
While these precautions may seem like an inconvenience, they are necessary to protecting the things that matter to you the most. It is certainly up to each individual to determine what they will do in order to protect themselves and from potential harm or burglary. The tips and precautions that we have to offer were compiled based on what we have seen for ourselves. Many of the problems that occur due to your garage door, can be avoided or quickly remedied if some of the aforementioned tips and precautions are adhered to.
If you are serious about keeping you and your loved ones out of harms way, we would highly recommend that you take some, if not all, of the tips and precautions into consideration. You may not find these to be very practical right now but we assure you that you will be able to benefit them if properly applied. We know that these precautions and tips work or else we wouldn’t share them with you. Again, adhering to them is a great way to protect you and your loved ones from having your cherished belongings stolen or from being harmed. Even if you apply some of the tips, which apply to your situation, we’re sure you’ll reap the benefit of having peace-of-mind.